Monday, August 25, 2008

Favorite time of year

Now I know it is still technically summer, but with the weather we have been having it feels more like fall. It is not quite harvest time but everyone around who planted gardens are starting to reap the fruits and vegetables of their labor. We got a call early last week from my mother in-law telling us to come and take home some produce. So Sunday afternoon we made the short trip and browsed her garden. We were rewarded with acorn squash, yellow squash, zucchini, onions, potatoes, and tomatoes. When we got home I looked into the sink I was washing everything in and all I could think was, 'wow, all I need is a few carrots and I could make a stew with the deer meat I have in the freezer.'

I think that I will get a few carrots when we get back from Iowa next week and make that stew.
Here is a picture of one of the potatoes we dug up. Keep in mind it was a red potato, which I understand is supposed to be smaller than say a russet. If I'm wrong, someone let me know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The recent cool evening temps have me settling into fall much earlier than I ever have before. I'm already craving all of my good October/November recipes.

DD Hunter said...

I know, I am already counting the days to our annual trip to the Orchard, though this year it will have to be the other Edwards Orchard, the one not struck by the tornado