Sunday, January 25, 2009

Red White and Bruise.


This past Friday I was privileged to be invited to participate in what is called a red and black scrimmage. Basically girls from different roller derby leagues are invited to play in a hodge-podge game, where you are given a color to wear and that is your team. There is no guarantee you will be playing on the same side as the rest of your own team mates. There were four leagues involved in this game, The Stateline Divas were able to have seven girls play and five of us played for the Red and Fight team while two of our teamates ended up on the Black and Bruise team. The split was really well thought out, we had a good number of all positions on each team as well as a fair distribution of rookie skaters. Three of the Divas we took had never bouted before.

As with the other 2 times I have played the only time I even noticed the score was at the end of the second period when my team, the red team had managed to close the scoring gap to one point. It took us the first period to find out the stratagey that worked best for our group. In the end though the Black and brusie team skated their way to victory.

I can defintly say this game was a whole new experiance for me. I have never intened to be one of the star players, being content to simply do my job as a blocker or pivot. Friday was such a confidence builder. I had several really good blocks and hits, I was approached by many of the black team and told what a good player I was. I even had Val Capone from the Windy City Rollers (She announced for the bout) come up and tell me she hoped she didn't offend me when she made the comment that I should change my name from DD Hunter to Jammer Hunter. It was all so over whelming I am just so used to blending in I still can't get over it all.

This weekend was such a confindence booster for me in a time where I am finding myself more and more depressed everyday. This was just Friday, I will post Saturdays bright spots tomorrow when I have more time, right now it is off to bed so I can get up early for work.

No comments: