Friday, May 16, 2008

Why do you Derby

Well let me start by saying I am very sore. I had a hard night at practice tonight. I skated hard and fast. I turned left and then I turned left again. My thighs feel like lead weights and my feet ache. Why do I do it, you ask? I wish there was a deep complex answer, but no. Life rarely gives you what you wish for.

I do Derby to get out of the house and meet people. I am not an aggressive person, but this is an aggressive sport. In seven short months I went from your average wall flower, go to work, come home, go to work, slump, to I am hardly ever home. My work schedule has been rearranged to fit my Derby schedule. Every Tuesday and Thursday I join a special group of women and we drive quite a distance to skate ourselves into dripping messes, for fun! On the nights I drive I put over 50 miles one way on my car, and I don't care.

This is my high. These women have become my family. I am proud and honored to be a Diva.
After seven months of learning a very intense game I am going to be skating against another team in a real game. I will be an official 'Derby Girl'.

No comments: