Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Call of Nature (part 2)

Over the last 3 months we have been keeping an eye on the nest. Shortly after my first sighting I peeked up to see one of them sitting the nest.
As you can see, this was still early spring, as the tree had not even started to bud out.

A few weeks later, after there were too many leaves to take a decent picture I looked into the nest to see two white fuzz balls. I really wish I could have gotten a picture for you, but I couldn't.

This spring and summer has been very stormy. We have had many severe storms with high winds. About 3 weeks ago we had a storm that caused a tree next door to loose the top half of it. That storm also sent our young birds out of their nest. Thankfully with the aid of their parents they have survived. They have since learned to fly and are still hanging around our house, across the street in the cemetery to be precise.

Tonight I heard the call of the adult Falcons as they hunted rabbits, squirrels and birds. I searched the trees, and I searched the skies until I was lucky enough to see one of the younger birds land on the ground. I quickly went in and got my camera. Here are by baby falcons, I am sure they are learning to hunt on their own now, but mom and dad are still helping them out.

This has been a great spring. It isn't often one has the chance to view the circle of life so close to home, with such rare creatures.

No comments: