Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Summer comes to an end

It seems that my life hasn't slowed down at all this summer. There were so many things I wanted to do but got caught up with other events that I completely forgot about them. I wanted to take a trip to Six Flags this year, instead I went to Iowa with my Aunt and Uncle.

This weekend marked the official end of summer and I celebrated by getting up a 2 am on Friday and driving to Ft Wayne, Indiana to visit with my family and catch 13 straight hours of roller derby.

I was glad I left so early, the time I reached the Indiana side of Chicago is when the first traffic report came over the radio. Woo hoo, no rush hour for me! I got to my grandmother's house by 10 am Ft Wayne time. We spent about an hour and half just talking and catching up on the cousins. Then we headed to McDonald's for lunch.

My grandmother goes the the same McDonald's that my parents worked at when they were in high school. She goes there everyday, sometimes twice a day to meet her friends. Sometimes they play bingo and others they just eat and chat. I got to me a few of her friends and she bragged about how I was a roller derby girl. I loved watching their eyes light up as they remembered the roller derby of yesteryear.

So after lunch we headed back and hung out, just relaxing. Grandma, Bob, and I each ended up taking a cat nap in the living room then my cousin came over with her year old son for dinner. I got to spend some quality time with young Carter while his mom went to work before his dad came to get him. He is such a happy little boy.

Saturday I drove to the Allen County Veterans Memorial Coliseum for the Fall Brawl. I stayed on the non- WFTDA track so I could cheer on the Chicago Outfit. We played them in May and got creamed. They are a bunch of hard hitting, fast skating superwomen. They played some really great games and in the end came out on top.

I decided not to go to the after bout party as I was staying with grandma and didn't want her to have to stay up late wondering when I would get home. So after the final bout for the Outfit I headed home.

I got to sleep in a bit on Sunday then headed over to my other grandparents house. I got to see all my uncles and most of my cousins and of course more babies. My grandparents on both sides of the family do not have to worry about the family ending any time soon.

As all good things must come to an end, my time grew short and I had to head home. As I drove off into the sunset all I could think about was I can't wait to do it again next year!

No comments: