Monday, June 16, 2008

Smut Books and Awesome Authors

Alright, I'll admit it. I read romance novels. Although I like to think I have a standard when it comes to my smut. I avoid Harlequin novels and usually focus on historical novels. I also read fantasy or paranormal romance.

The list of genres I read is actually pretty broad. I am a sucker for a good story, heck if it is captivating enough, I'll even read a not so good story.

Last year I had the good fortune to meet 2 of my favorite authors. Sherrilyn Kenyon (aka Kinley McGregor) and Diana Gabaldon. Both of these woman were wonderful speakers. I could have sat and listened to them speak for hours. Unfortunately, as is always the case, time was not on my side. I was able to get all of the books I own signed by each of these incredible ladies.

I know in some areas book signings are a dime a dozen. Not in my life, although I am having more opportunities since I have moved closer to a large city. I am very excited to say that I will be able to meet Ms. Kenyon for the second time in as many years, and I have more books for her to sign. For those of you who know me, I am always asked, What does the DD in DD Hunter stand for? Well, Ms. Kenyon's Dark-Hunter series was my inspiration for my Derby persona.

She mixes Greek Mythology with soul sucking vampires, strong hero's who need strong heroines to pull them out of a jam they got themselves into hundreds, some even thousands of years ago. Her writing is very witty and upbeat, I find myself laughing at pop-culture references and wanting to pull out any book I can find of the Greek Gods.

One of the reasons I admire this woman so much is she takes an interest in her readers. She not only hears us when we babble and gush all over her and her work, she actually listens to us. For example. Last year I told her of my friend, Tara, who at the time lived in FL. I informed her that one of the books she was signing was for my friend and how disappointed Tara was that she was unable to make the trip to Rockford to meet Ms. Kenyon herself. Three months later, Sherrilyn had added more stops to her tour, including Orlando. Tara drug her best guy friend to the book signing, she was so excited. I can't tell you how excited I was when Tara was speaking about her friend in Illinois who had the chance to meet Ms. Kenyon a few months back, and Sherrilyn remembered me!

All I can say is when I go to see her in Aug, it will have been over a year since our last meeting, and I am sure she will have met hundreds of thousands of her fans, but I know that once upon a time, she knew who I was, and I can't wait to see her again.

No comments: